Live In Care
Live in care means that a carer will live in your loved one’s home. Find out how live in care can work for you, including information about costs, where a live in carer can be found, and what they will need.
What is live in care?
Live in care means that a carer will live in your loved one’s home around the clock, and be on hand at all times.
There are many different types of care, including:
- Respite care
- Overnight care
- Hourly care
- Companionship care
- Postoperative care
- Palliative care
- Disability care
And a live in carer will often provide all of these things in one package.
Why should I choose live in care over a care home?
- The quality of care home available to your loved one will depend on where they live. It might be that there are good options available, and it might be that there aren’t. However, what is often if not always the case, is that there will be a waiting list that may be months or even years long.
In contrast, a live in carer can start immediately. With HomeTouch we can find you a match based on geographical location, expertise and personality within 24 hours. We have the largest library of quality live in carers in the UK, which puts us in a unique position to find you the carer that is right for you.
- Quality of care is important, as is the environment and the availability of facilities that contribute to general wellbeing. In care homes it is often the case that carers have to stretch their time between multiple residents, which means that your loved one may have to wait for carers to get to them.
A live in carer’s time is specifically focused on your loved one and their needs. In addition, your loved one is able to remain in their own home, close to friends and family, and if they have a beloved pet they won’t have to part with it. Social activities need not change, and a live in carer will normally provide transport and accompany your loved one to appointments.
- In care homes, many different carers are employed, which can lead to inconsistency in care. What’s more, if your loved one has dementia the high turnover of staff can be disorientating and distressing.
A live in carer will be a consistent friendly face day-in-day-out, meaning that a strong relationship bond can form between them and your loved one. If your loved one requires help with intimate self-care, like washing and using the toilet, a loss of dignity can be a real problem. With a live in carer, a working relationship built on trust can be forged, helping your loved one to feel a sense of control over their own ageing process.
How much does live in care cost?
Despite the many benefits, live in care is often very competitively priced. At HomeTouch our live in carers are available from £700 per week, although they often average at £800 to £850 depending on their level of experience. This is cheaper than a lot of quality care homes, which can cost anything from £1000 per week.
What’s more, a specialist live in carer can be provided. Many of our carers are highly qualified and experienced and, depending on the level of work required, won’t need much more in the way of payment.
If you need to find quality live in care, the HomeTouch team can help. We can provide you with advice and support, and help you to find a top quality carer in your local area.
Just call 020 7148 0746.
How can I find a live in carer?
Finding a live in carer can be easier than you think.
Agencies are available, and they will send someone to you at very short notice. However, in most cases you won’t have any control over the person who is sent, and you will often pay more for the service. Agencies have to take a high commission rate to cover their overheads, and they have an established reputation for paying their carers the absolute minimum wage. This can lead to a high turnover of staff, which leads to the same problem seen in a lot of care homes and nursing homes.
HomeTouch provides a very effective alternative. Because our platform maximises the benefits of technology, you pay less while we pay our carers more. Our carers are self-employed, but before they are given a profile on our website they go through a 42-point vetting process that is so thorough only 5% of our applicants get through. This means that you get the peace-of-mind that comes with knowing that your loved one is being well looked after, while our carers get more control over their work and are able to commit to longer-term contracts.
You can start your carer search by clicking on the link below. The process takes minutes, and you will receive a call from our friendly team, who are available to help you through the process.
What does a live in carer need?
A person living in your loved one’s home will require their own room. This doesn’t have to be a bedroom, any room can be converted to create a private space, but it will need:
- A clean and comfortable bed
- Space to store their belongings
- A real door that can provide privacy
- Access to bathroom facilities – these don’t need to be private to the carer, but access is important
Bonus features are:
- A television – to allow for watching their own shows
- An internet connection – access to the web is a very important part of daily life for most people today
Find out more:
- Changes in behaviour that require a live in carer
- What does a live in carer need?
- Live in care vs Care home
- How much does live in care cost?
- Is live in care right for me?
- Choosing a live in carer
HomeTouch was founded by Dr. Jamie Wilson, an NHS dementia doctor who became frustrated with the limited care options available to his patients. Our team includes a high percentage of industry professionals who have care and nursing experience, and we’re all passionate about transforming the care industry for the better.